WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE A DOULA?
The research is good you guys. Very good. It’s clear that mamas who give birth with continuous labor support have a more positive experience along with a healthier mom & baby. They also tend to have shorter labors with fewer complications. HELLO. Sign me up right?! Well keep reading, it gets better…
Women who gave birth with a trained labor support companion such as a doula were
LESS LIKELY to:
• have an epidural or other "regional" analgesia to manage pain
• use any type of pain medication (including narcotics)
• give birth by cesarean section
• give birth with vacuum extraction or forceps
• give birth to a baby with a low Apgar score rating of well being 5 minutes after birth
• be dissatisfied with or negatively rate their childbirth experience (Hodnett and colleagues 2011).
You can read more about evidence supporting doulas HERE
Hodnett ED. Pain and women's satisfaction with the experience of childbirth: a systematic review. Am J Obstet
Gynecol 2002; 186(5) S160-72.
Hodnett ED, Gates S, Hofmeyr G J, Sakala C, Weston J. Continuous support for women during childbirth [PDF]. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011, Issue 2.